Saturday, 23 February 2013

The Brits 2013!!!

Very original post today- I know (that was sarcasm). I think I may have writer's block, I just don't know what to post about. All the ideas that I do have take too much preparation to be done today. Hopefully at some point in the future I will do a 'proper' post with photos I have taken etc etc. But for now I simply am too busy!!!

So I guess that all of you know what the Brits are and that they were on last night. But just in case you don't I shall enlighten you anyway! Basically it is a British (had to stop myself from writing English!) awards ceremony for British singer/ songwriters. There are three exceptions in the form of the 'best international female artist', 'best international male artist' and 'best international group' categories. The nominees from these categories can be from any country. Anyone who is anyone goes and for normal people to get tickets is very, very hard.


Now I'll go through each category saying the nominees and the winners and give my opinion on it:

(I can't guarantee that any of this is in chronological order!!!)

British Female Solo Act:

(presented by Taylor Swift)
NOMINEES:
  • Amy Winehouse
  • Bat For Lashes
  • Jessie Ware
  • Paloma Faith
  • Emeli Sande
WINNER:
Emeli Sande (I had to check LOADS if this is how her name is spelt, there is no logic to it!)
I am a bit uncertain about who I wanted to win this category. I loved Paloma Faith's first album but her latest one has made me go off her a bit... I didn't see the point of Amy Winehouse winning because obviously she wouldn't be able to appreciate the award like the other winners would, but still her songs were good. Bat for Lashes- have never heard of her, felt a bit bad about that because I thought my music knowledge was quite good. Jessie ware- I can't really have an opinion on her since I have only heard one of her songs. But from the one I have heard I think that she is a good artist. I wasn't very happy that Emeli Sande won because I find her songs a bit repetitive and dull. They all sound the same to me. Overall though I'm happy for her. She's done really well this year so probably deserved it. NOTE: I did laugh when Taylor came on to present this award and they zoomed right into Harry Style's face. In my opinion he didn't look particularly heartbroken...
British Group:
(presented by Simon Pegg and  Bérénice Marlohe)
NOMINEES:



  • Alt-J
  • Muse
  • One Direction
  • The xx
  • Mumford & Sons

  • WINNER:
    Mumford & Sons

    In my honest opinion all the nominees in this category were complete rubbish. Alt-J- never heard of them before they were nominated but from the clip they showed of them not my cup of tea. Muse- oh where do I begin to describe their awfulness, I don't want to be hateful but they are dreadful. Their songs sound like a car crash and their Olympic single was a flop. One Direction- I have to be careful with this one since I will assume they majority of people reading my blog will be teenage girls and the majority of teenage girls worship 1D. I don't think that they are interesting to listen to, no one can dispute their success but I just think they got lucky. The xx- I knew they existed but have never heard one of their songs. No opinion. Mumford & Sons won and I don't care. I'm not a fan but their music isn't horrible, it's just not my taste. I'd rather they win it than any of the other nominees.

    British Breakthrough Act:
    (presented by Nick Grimshaw)
    NOMINEES:
  • Alt-J
  • Jake Bugg
  • Jessie Ware
  • Rita Ora
  • Ben Howard

  • WINNER:
    Ben Howard

    I don't have an opinion on this award. I've heard Jake Bugg's, Jessie Ware's and Rita Ora's songs but have never formed an opinion on them. I haven't heard a single one of Ben Howard's songs so I can't judge.

    British Male Solo Artist:
    (presented by Ed Sheeran)~ my friend has a major crush on him, you know who you are!
    NOMINEES:
  • Calvin Harris
  • Olly Murs
  • Plan B
  • Richard Hawley
  • Ben Howard

  • WINNER:
    Ben Howard (again!)

    I would've wanted Calvin Harris or Olly Murs to win this award, for this category my taste is pretty mainstream. For a DJ Calvin Harris is actually quite good, I'm not really into that type of music and Calvin Harris and Avicii are the only DJ's work I like. Olly Murs isn't one of my favourite singers but my friend adores his music (and probably him too...) and after being subjected to hours of his work I don't think he is that bad. Plus, I love 'Army of two'! Plan B- bleeeuuuurrrghhhh, really, really not my taste in music. He just yells at you- why would you listen to that?!?! Richard Hawley- who? Ben Howard- not that guy again! Where was I when he became popular, I've never heard of him! As I haven't heard his stuff I don't have an opinion of him winning.


    International Female Solo Artist:
    (presented by Dermot O' Leary and Sharon Osbourne)
    NOMINEES:
  • Alicia Keys
  • Cat Power
  • Rihanna
  • Taylor Swift
  • Lana Del Rey
  • WINNER:
    Lana Del Rey
    I'm genuinely happy that Lana won. She is by far the most orginal artist. Honestly I am chuffed to pieces that it wan't Rihanna or Taylor Swift. (The comments will have to be shorter- I have tons still to write!!!)

    British Live Act:
    (presented by Louis Smith and Jack Whitehall)
    NOMINEES:
  • Mumford & Sons
  • Muse
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Vaccines
  • Coldplay

  • WINNER:
    Coldplay

    I thought that the Rolling Stones were going to win purely because of the ginormous ticket prices. To be honest though, who wants to see old men dancing and playing the guitar trying to stay cool. *CRINGE*

    Best British Single:
    (presented by Tom Daley and Johnathan Ross)
    NOMINEES:
  • Alex Clare - "Too Close"
  • Coldplay & Rihanna - "Princess of China"
  • DJ Fresh featuring Rita Ora - "Hot Right Now"
  • Emeli Sandé - "Next to Me"
  • Florence and the Machine - "Spectrum (Say My Name)"
  • James Arthur - "Impossible"
  • Jessie J - "Domino"
  • Labrinth featuring Emeli Sandé - "Beneath Your Beautiful"
  • Olly Murs featuring Flo Rida - "Troublemaker"
  • Rita Ora featuring Tinie Tempah - "R.I.P."
  • Rizzle Kicks - "Mama Do the Hump"
  • Robbie Williams - "Candy"
  • Rudimental featuring John Newman - "Feel the Love"
  • Stooshe - "Black Heart"
  • Adele- "Skyfall"

  • WINNER:
    Adele (who couldn't even be bothered to come!)

    I suppose as Skyfall WAS the James Bond theme tune it has to win something. Personally I wanted Rizzle Kicks to win. Just 'cause they are AWESOME!

    International group:
    (presented by Dave Grohl)


     NOMINEES:


    • Alabama Shakes
    • Fun.
    • The Killers
    • The Script
    • The Black Keys


    WINNER:
    The Black Keys

    The only bands I have heard of that were nominated for this category are The Script and fun. Considering I hate the script (no, seriously, I cringe when I hear them sing- sorry all of their fans!!!) I thought that fun. should win. I actually really like their music, it's different to other stuff in the charts. I have never heard of the Black Keys so I can't comment on them.

    International male solo artist:
    (presented by Jourdan Dunn and Rafe Spall)
    NOMINEES:
    • Bruce Springsteen
    • Gotye
    • Jack White
    • Michael Buble
    • Frank Ocean

    WINNER:
    Frank Ocean

    I have only heard of Gotye and Micheal Buble, I cannot stand either of their songs so maybe Frank Ocean should've won. I dunno...

    Special recognition award:
    (presented by Damon Albarn)
     War Child

    Mastercard British album of the year:
    (presented by Bryan Ferry)
    NOMINEES:
    • Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
    • Mumford & Sons - Babel
    • Paloma Faith - Fall to Grace
    • Plan B - Ill Manors
    • Emeli Sande- Our version of events

    WINNER:
    Emeli Sande- Our version of events

    I am not a fan of Emeli Sande's music- it just doesn't appeal to me. I would've wanted Paloma Faith to win even though her most recent album wasn't my favourite. At least Plan B didn't win!!!

    Brit's global success award:
    (presented by Robbie Williams)
    WINNER:
    One Direction 

    I don't understand how it is a victory if 1D won despite being the only nominees in this category. They have been very successful globally though so they probably did deserve it!

    I know it says that the Brits were last night a few times in this post but I started it on Thursday so, yeah...

    "The global success award (er, what?) goes to One Direction. Harry Styles is wearing a suit like he's getting married. Oh my God, what does this all mean? What is Taylor thinking? Is she back in her wedding dress? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? IT LOOKS SO SUPERFICIAL BUT ... THERE ARE SO MANY LAYERS ... WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?!" 
    (Quoted from the Guardian because it made me laugh!!)

    Flo Jo 
    xx



      
     


    1 comments:

    1. Hey Flo Jo I really like your blog and I read it a lot. It's similar to what I do and it's you that inspired me to get blogging... so thanks! I especially liked your butterfly cakes post.

      will you have a look at my blog? It doesn't get many views and has no comments. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as your blog but it's still fun to do.

      www.mezzedit.blogspot.co.uk :)

      ReplyDelete