Friday, 12 July 2013

Review: An awesome wave by ∆ (alt-j)

Hello,
I'm feeling a bit guilty because I left you with a kind of rubbish post last time. It either interested you or it didn't. To add to this guilt I recently have had a spike in the number of views in this blog, I think this is because my friend Tolly got featured in Girl Talk magazine and I was featured in a recent post of hers. I am so proud of Tolly and how amazing her blog is so asdfghjkl; basically. Wow, I must be coming across really professionally to any new readers of my blog via Tolly's- sorry my writing is just kinda quick and slang-y I suppose!

Okay, so onto the post- someone at school suggested I do more reviews on my blog (you can find his twitter *here*. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, I have done book reviews in the past though I'm not sure if that was on this blog or one of my old ones (I used to have loads, if you didn't know, but they were awful). But I thought that reviewing music may be quite fun and a bit of a change. Now, you may remember me reviewing 'DNA' by little mix a while back but since then my taste in music has changed quite a bit... to say the least.

Album artwork
An awesome wave by (alt-j)

I know that this album was released awhile back, but they're still advertising it in the underground in London so I would say it's still current. Overall the sound of this album is quite indie-pop, but it has influences from lots of places.

I won't review all of the tracks since it has lots of interludes which are beautiful but you can't really say much about them. Instead I will review what I'd say are the standout tracks:

Breezeblocks:
This is the song you've most likely to have heard on the radio- I've mentioned it on my blog before just because of it's pure awesomeness. It's about being in a relationship that you know isn't good for either of you but you can't get out. It also have references to where the wild things are, which is amazing in the most nerdy way ever...

Breezeblocks by alt-J on Grooveshark

Matilda: Another song that you may have heard on the radio, some parts of it are good but some bits can be a bit repetitive- but in this song I'm not entirely sure that that's a bad thing. I think it's based on a film called Leon or something? I don't know- it's slightly old for me but if you like looking into the meaning of song lyrics just have a look around.

 Matilda by alt-J on Grooveshark

Tessellate: In all honesty I don't really get this song but I think it's sound is really beautiful, plus it's one of alt-j's 'signature' songs I suppose. For those of you that don't know *here* is the meaning of tessellation, you'll probably learn about it in a maths lesson! Okay, that was slightly off topic... 

Tessellate by alt-J on Grooveshark

There are lots of other brilliant songs on this album and they are all so gorgeous to listen to, it's quite hard to find indie pop which isn't trying to hard to be indie pop... If you want to listen to the full album just click *here*.

I hope you enjoyed this little post, if you want more of this type- maybe on books, movies etc. just give me a suggestion in the comments!!!

And to see you off here is the most amazing idea ever:

































This guy is amazing- look at his other videos and subscribe!!!

Thanks
Flo Jo xx

Thanks to
http://lmgtfy.com
and
grooveshark.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh man - I just lost an hour (in a good way) watching his videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's not a bad way to spend an hour! Don't worry I have had that happen to me with many youtubers and then I have to find them on every piece of social media they have... ^_^
      Flo Jo xx

      Delete