Monday, 28 October 2013

Pumpkin carving

Um... hello?

Yes, yes- where on earth have I been? I'd like to say I've been incredibly busy but it's more like incredibly lazy. Ideas for blog posts just haven't been coming to me so I've been watching too much youtube and listening to too much music instead. I promise it won't happen again (it probably will but I'm very sorry).

Anyway... swiftly moving on: as Halloween is fast approaching and it is literally the best holiday in existance, I needed to carve a pumpkin! And I decided to take you on this journey (?) with me. Maybe if you haven't ever carved a pumpkin (I am judging you) this could even teach you what to do.

You will need:
- A pumpkin (preferably quite large)
- A knife (sharp and small)
- A pencil/ pen to draw your design with
- A candle and a match

























First you need to scoop out the insides of your pumpkin. To do this you cut off the top- a circle about the size of your hand in a claw, if that makes sense? On one part of the 'lid' you cut of add a little triangular notch. This helps you to line it up more when you put it back on the pumpkin. Next use your hands to pull out the stringy insides and seeds of the pumpkin. Make sure you have a bowl to put this into otherwise there will be a huge mess. To help you get out some off the tricky bits use your knife to pull it off the edges. It needs to be completely clean before you start to carve otherwise when you put the candles in it could catch fire which isn't good.

























Next draw out the design you want onto your pumpkin. Don't feel limited to the traditional faces. You could have anything from a pikachu to a floral pattern- it's really up to you! I went for a cat face because, well, cats. Then just draw out your design onto the pumpkin in either pencil or pen. Be sure to make it fairly big so people can clearly see what it is, this'll also make it easier to carve.

Then, you just cut along the lines trying not to stab yourself. If your pattern is a bit more complicated you may want to just scrape the skin off your pumpkin and not cut all the way through creating a cool effect. This can be a bit tricky though.

Once your design has been completely carved out you can light your candle(s). If you have a bigger pumpkin you'll probably need a couple but for smaller ones one should be fine. Then just drop them in. Try not to burn yourself because that's what I always do!

When you've done all of this your pumpkin should be looking very spooky and halloween-y. Then just put it wherever you want! It's really easy to carve a pumpkin as long as your design isn't too impossible.

What are you dressing up as for halloween? What are you doing? I'd love to know so please tell me in the comments and I will definitely reply.

Finally: song of the week (/whenever I actually post), I know I haven't done one forever but I should get back into the habit: 



Fox academy are literally my favourite thing at the moment, they're not the kind of stuff I normally listen to but they're amazing.

See you soon guys, thanks for bearing with me
Flo Jo xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment