Saturday, 11 January 2014

Review: Oranges are not the only fruit- Jeanette Winterson




Hello again,
this review/ blog post is kind of a relief to write because recently I haven't been reading at all which is terrible; oranges are not the only fruit may have taken me a couple of months to read but at least I finished it so I suppose I am a little bit proud. Even if that's stupid and unnecessary. 

I absolutely adored this book, though the original reason for me reading it was because I wanted to read Winterson's autobiography Why be happy when you can be normal, which explains the situation she was in at the time of writing oranges/ leading up to it. At least I think so because I haven't read it yet- ugh I am terrible and useless oh dear. But I am glad I read Oranges are not the only fruit anyway because it is a stunning book. I suppose I enjoy reading books that are kind of 'normal' and are written from a believable (yet often funny) perspective. Therefore as I was reading this I was reminded of Behind the scenes at the museum by Kate Atkinson because I believe them to be written in very similar styles. 

Onto an actual summary of the plot (spoiler free): The story is written in first person, which makes you want to support the female protagonist's ideas. She is raised in an environment of strict Christianity and gets a very one sided view of the world, but when she finally meets people who don't exactly have the same religious views as her she begins to question what she's been taught by her mother all those years...

I really really really liked this book, like, I think I enjoy reading about religion? Maybe not religion specifically but I think a book written on the concepts of different people's viewpoints is really interesting because it completely alters the way the world is to them. I found the main character, not necessarily relatable for me specifically, but likable. When I first started reading I was worried that she would be very frustrating and closed-minded but that wasn't the case at all. Since the whole "Christianity" concept is such a big deal in the book I thought that as an atheist that has never been bought up to think a specific way (which is a bit weird considering I went to a Christian primary school) I wouldn't have been able to empathise with the emotions felt and the genral way of life. But it was written so well I honestly had no problem. 

Just generally this book was wonderful to read- it gave a message *and a positive one yay (I guess?)* but without being too 'wordy' or clever for it's own good. Because I have tried to read tons of books that I'm sure would've been awesome but were just trying too hard to be intellectual. So um yes, would recommend.

Now time for that wonderful tradition where I force my music upon you  introduce you to what I've been listening to this week.


ahh yes! I guess the tumblr hipsters that rave over la dispute have finally got me! Lemme tell you a thing- this band are raved over for a reason. From reading the comments on their youtube videos I have decided you either really love or really hate this type of music since it's a kind of spoken word/ post hardcore-y thing with some vocal fry but I just think it's really interesting and this song is just the saddest thing ever. It's sort of like poetry put to music I suppose? Ehh I could go on about this band for ages really, they're just super interesting...

So yeah another post for you aha
Flo Jo x
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
twitter: @flo_jo52


0 comments:

Post a Comment